Monthly Archives: May 2022Share
Tuesday, May 31, 2022
Orange County Public Schools (OCPS) Superintendent Barbara Jenkins was recognized for her leadership in the school district’s ongoing partnership with Valencia College at the Thursday, May 26, 2022, District Board of Trustees meeting held on the Lake Nona Campus. College President Kathleen Plinske thanked Superintendent Jenkins — who is retiring at the end of this school year — and noted that, during her tenure, more than 18,000 students participated in the Dual Enrollment program, and more than 900 students earned a Valencia degree at the same time they graduated from high school.
Watch this video for highlights of the partnership.
Additionally, the Valencia College Foundation made a $1,000 donation to the Superintendent’s OCPS Teaching Scholarship that has been established in Barbara Jenkin’s honor and gives scholarship preference to first-generation students who are interested in studying education.
The board authorized the College to execute an agreement with Osceola County to implement the Osceola Prosper program on behalf of students. Osceola Prosper, made possible by the Osceola County Commission, will cover tuition and fees (after any grants or scholarships a student receives) at Valencia College or oTECH. All 2022 graduates from all Osceola County public, charter, and private high schools, as well as home-schooled graduates, are eligible to participate, regardless of financial need or immigration status.
Information and Technology/Student Affairs Technical Support for Financial Aid
Vice President of Technology, Research and Analytics Brandon McKelvey provided a Student Affairs business process overview. The core recommendations from the business process review were to provide financial aid awards to students earlier, develop a new registration calendar that supports our strategic access goal and fully use the functionality of existing software. These efforts will result in the following outcomes for fiscal year 2023 and beyond:
- Provide financial aid awards to students eight to 12 weeks earlier than in prior years;
- Restructure enrollment calendars to provide registration six to eight weeks earlier than in prior years;
- Reengineer our core systems to achieve operational efficiencies in financial aid and enrollment; and
- Extend new software capacities to students, faculty and staff.
The board authorized Valencia to enter into a contract with CampusWorks, Inc. to support financial aid-related technical needs associated with the project.
Policy Approvals and Repeals
Trustees approved adopting the following amended policies:
- College Policy 6Hx28: 02-4 AIDS and HIV
- College Policy 6Hx28: 05-05 Vehicle Use for College Business
- College Policy 6Hx28: 05-11 College Property Control
- College Policy 6Hx28: 09-06 Grant Funding
The board also repealed the following policy:
- College Policy 6Hx28: 08-04 Student Possession or Consumption of Alcoholic Beverages (language was previously consolidated with College Policies 6Hx28: 08-03 Student Code of Conduct and 6Hx28: 10-08 Drug-Free Campuses and Workplace)
The next District Board of Trustees meeting will be held on Thursday, June 23, 2022, at 9:30 a.m. at the Winter Park Campus and via Zoom.