Thursday, January 28, 2021
A Message from Ben Taylor, Assistant Director, Equal Opportunity
In collaboration with the Faculty Association, the Equal Opportunity team is soliciting interest for a faculty ombuds representative to support all faculty in navigating College policies and procedures and connecting faculty with available dispute resolution resources. The faculty ombuds representative serves in a collegewide capacity to support full-time and part-time faculty.
“Holding the role of faculty ombuds representative allowed me to grow at Valencia College by becoming well-versed in the College’s dispute resolution processes so I could answer questions for faculty and discuss their concerns,” shared Anna Saintil, who has served as the first faculty ombuds representative since fall 2018. “In each situation, I was able to serve as a navigator and connector of resources, as well as provide guidance to the process or policy that might apply.” Anna’s current term is set to expire at the end of spring 2021.
The faculty member selected will:
- Be appointed for a one-year term (beginning in summer or fall 2021) with the option to reapply for an additional year;
- Receive a three-credit course release per term which provides for seven hours per week to serve in this capacity;
- Receive comprehensive onboarding and training on relevant topics during the selected representative’s first term in the faculty ombuds representative role; and
- Serve as an advocate and guide for the dispute resolution process.
To be eligible for this role, you must be:
- A full-time Valencia College faculty member, who has been employed at the College for at least two years;
- Able to complete required training at the start of the first term in the role and ongoing meetings with an Equal Opportunity representative; and
- Serve for at least one full academic year.
If you’re interested in applying, please review the roles and responsibilities and complete the following application. Applications must be submitted by Friday, February 12, 2021.
We look forward to continuing with this opportunity for the 2021 – 2022 academic year. For more information about this opportunity, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 407-299-5000, extension 3454, or Lauren Kelly, director, equal opportunity at email@example.com or 407-299-5000, extension 8125.