Filtered by Community

The Fight to End Human Trafficking

“It takes a village … and this is our village.” School of Public Safety Executive Dean Jeff Goltz shared these words with community leaders on Thursday, August 17, 2017, during the launch of a book, created by a collaborative effort, that sheds light on human trafficking. Human trafficking, which is defined as the trade of humans for […]

Meet Our New Full-Time Faculty

A Message from Kathleen Plinske, President, Osceola, Lake Nona and Poinciana Campuses We’re welcoming a number of wildly talented new full-time faculty to the Osceola, Lake Nona and Poinciana Campuses this fall. Over the next several weeks, I’ll share their biographies as a preview of who will be joining our team. The biographies were authored […]

Valencia Mentors Needed for Valencia Promise/Take Stock...

By Kelly Astro, Director, Valencia Promise/Take Stock in Children Under the stewardship of College President Sandy Shugart, the Valencia Promise/Take Stock in Children program has enriched the lives of more than 200 high school students in Orange County over the past 10 years. This program, in partnership with the Central Florida community, provides low-income students in grades nine […]

Welcome to the Poinciana Campus: Community Impact

As we lead up to the opening of our new Poinciana Campus, we introduce a weekly series that will feature important information about this newest Valencia addition. This week, we’ll take a look at the deep impact this new campus is expected to have on the Poinciana community. Unfortunately, Poinciana’s geography and distance from postsecondary […]

Featured Colleague: Isabel Falquez on the Power of an Edu...

By Dani Moritz-Long To Enrollment Services Coordinator Isabel Falquez, Valencia signifies growth. “I think we represent growth, change and opportunity,” she said. “Valencia’s steady growth demonstrates to our community the career opportunities open to them. Valencia reveals that growth brings changes and this results in different opportunities.” This kind of development and change, however, can […]

Making a Difference in Our Community: Ruth Smith...

An advocate of the arts, Ruth Smith, director, library services, channels her passion for theater into her volunteer service for the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts, a popular downtown Orlando venue for theater, dance, music and family entertainment. Since 2014, when the center opened, Ruth has volunteered as a lobby ambassador — helping to usher […]

Welcome Assistant Vice President of Financial Aid and...

A Message from Kim Sepich, Vice President, Student Affairs It’s my honor to officially welcome Daniel Barkowitz to Valencia as the assistant vice president of financial aid and veterans affairs. Daniel boasts an extensive history in higher education, with leadership positions at institutes like St. Johns River State College, Columbia University, MIT and others. Most recently, […]

Meet Our New Full-Time Osceola, Lake Nona and Poinciana...

A Message from Kathleen Plinske, President, Osceola, Lake Nona and Poinciana Campuses We’re welcoming a number of wildly talented new full-time faculty to the Osceola, Lake Nona and Poinciana Campuses this fall. Over the next several weeks, I’ll share their biographies as a preview of who will be joining our team. The biographies were authored […]

You’re Invited to the New Central Florida Chapter...

Date: Friday, October 20, 2017 Time: 5 – 8 p.m. Location: West Campus, HSB, Room 105 Please join Valencia in welcoming the new Central Florida branch of the National Association for the Study of African-American Life and History (ASALH, Inc.) at its upcoming Founder’s Day Celebration on Friday, October 20, 2017, at West Campus in HSB, Room 105. Light […]

East Campus Crisis Scenarios Provide Valencia and...

By Wendy Jo Moyer Logan Hajdukiewicz, a recent Valencia graduate, was in the East Campus Library on Friday, August 4, 2017, at 10 a.m. when he heard a large explosion. Then, he explained, “Everything went blank and, when I woke up, my face was bleeding, and I could not move my lower body.” He laid […]