What is sustainability? Most people think it is just a new way of talking about environmentalism, energy savings and recycling (and Valencia already does a great job with those things), but sustainability is much more than that. Sustainability is a new way of looking at our community and our world.
Central Florida is growing, and new challenges and opportunities come with that development. The United Nations Commission on Environment and Development characterized sustainable development as a process that “meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”
As educators, we have a chance to prepare students to keep Central Florida the great place to live that it is now — and ensure it’s still a great place to live for their children’s children. We are preparing the future leaders of our community. We have an opportunity to help students understand our connection to the larger global community and get them to think critically about the delicate balance needed to sustain our economic, environmental, social and cultural capital.
If these ideas interest you, Academic Affairs and Planning invites you to participate in a new initiative called Education for Sustainability — referenced as #SustainableValencia. Over the next year, we will host a series of films, speakers and activities aimed at helping faculty and others deepen their understanding of sustainability and the new interdisciplinary field of study, Sustainability Science. The year will culminate in Destination 2017, when faculty will have an opportunity to infuse sustainability concepts into their classes.
Help us kick off this initiative with a screening of the documentary “The 11th Hour,” produced and narrated by Leonardo DiCaprio. A discussion of the film will follow.
For more information about the initiative, click here or contact:
- Susan Ledlow, vice president, academic affairs and planning, at email@example.com or extension 3423;
- Kari Makepeace, coordinator, academic planning and support, at firstname.lastname@example.org or extension 3415;
- Resham Shirsat, director, sustainability, at email@example.com or extension 1830;
- Shara Lee, campus director, faculty and instructional development, at firstname.lastname@example.org or extension 4723;
- Gary Kokaisel, faculty developer/instructional designer, at email@example.com or extension 4812.