A Message from Kathleen Plinske, President, Osceola, Lake Nona and Poinciana Campuses
Did you know that the number one reason students visit Learning Support areas on our campuses is because a faculty member told them about the help they can receive?
The learning support teams at Osceola, Lake Nona and Poinciana Campuses are dedicated to helping students develop academic skills, build confidence in learning and become independent learners. With a focus on partnering with faculty to create the “right conditions for learning,” Learning Support’s mission is to support students in academic coursework as they obtain the necessary skills for their academic and career goals.
Face-to-face and online tutoring services are available to all currently enrolled students at no cost. Many of our tutors in our centers have completed a nationally recognized tutor training program, which is endorsed by the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA). In addition, online tutoring is offered by Smarthinking and provides students with online help 24/7; this is critical both for our online students as well as those who are juggling school, work and family obligations. Recent data suggests that students who access both online tutoring and face-to-face services are some of our highest-performing students.
Osceola, Lake Nona and Poinciana Campuses all offer writing consultations for students who need help with any of the stages of the writing process. Professionally-trained and dedicated staff members are available in our Writing Centers to help students develop their work and to ensure that they avoid common errors. Our writing consultants are also well-versed in APA and MLA formats.
Additionally, the Osceola and Lake Nona Campuses offer a workshop series that is focused on helping students improve their writing skills. These workshops are offered as a co-curricular activity and can also be offered as an extension of classroom instruction (requested by the faculty member). The Poinciana Campus is interested in developing a writing workshop series as well. If you teach on the Poinciana Campus and are interested in collaborating with the Writing Center team located in the Plaza, please contact Joshua Austin, manager, learning support services, at email@example.com or 407-299-5000, extension 6155.
Furthermore, our libraries serve as hubs of learning activity where students can access research materials and obtain help from a librarian. Within the Library, students can find a location to meet with classmates to conduct research, study or work on group projects.
Learning Support by Campus
- Osceola — Students also have access to a quiet study room. The Depot (Building 4, Room 120) offers math and science tutoring and access to group study rooms, iPads, laptops and calculators for checkout. The Learning Center (Building 3, Room 100) provides access to tutoring related to A.S. programs, the Writing Center and student computers. The Library (Building 4, Room 202) provides help with research and citations, along with access to books and databases, computer access, course textbooks, group study rooms, iPads, laptops and calculators. The Testing and Assessment Center (Building 4, Room 248) proctors exams to students for faculty and proctors standardized assessments such as the PERT, LOEP, TEAS, CJBAT and CLEP.
- Lake Nona — The Tutoring Center (Room 230) offers tutoring in all math courses, most science courses, Spanish, writing for all courses, accounting and economics. The Library (Room 330) provides assistance with research and citations, access to books and databases, student computers, iPads, laptops, course textbooks, headphones, chargers for electronic devices and calculators. Students can also utilize group study rooms for collaborative work and a quiet study room for self-study. The Testing and Assessment Center (Room 206) proctors exams to students for faculty and standardized assessments such as the PERT, LOEP, TEAS and CJBAT.
- Poinciana — The Plaza (Room 231) offers access to tutoring, the Writing Center, group study rooms, laptops and calculators. The Library (Room 331) provides assistance with research, access to books and databases, computers and a quiet study room. The Poinciana Library has Surface Pros, calculators and course textbooks for students to use. The Testing and Assessment Center (Room 325) proctors class exams as well as the PERT and LOEP tests for new students.
We ask for your continued support in referring students to our Learning Support Centers. Please encourage our students to utilize learning support services early in the term and help our students understand that high-performing students, not just those who struggle, often use learning support services.
If you have any questions or you are interested in partnering with our Learning Support team, please feel free to contact one of the following individuals:
- Michael Blackburn, manager, learning support services, (Lake Nona Campus), at firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Marie Brady, manager, learning support services, (Osceola Campus) at email@example.com;
- Joshua Austin, manager, learning support services, (Poinciana Campus) at firstname.lastname@example.org; or
- Landon Shephard, campus dean, learning support services, at email@example.com.