Tuesday, July 6, 2021
A Message from Brandon McKelvey, Vice President, Analytics and Planning
After concluding our Strategic Planning Idea Gathering Sessions in the spring, our Institutional Planning Work Teams have been busy reviewing the ideas and suggestions submitted, finding key or recurring themes, identifying additional strategies that support our Impact Plan goals and collaborating collegewide to develop comprehensive recommendations that will be used to build high-level institutional plans.
Informed by Valencia’s 2030 Strategic Impact Plan, the following Institutional Planning Work Teams have been established to support the goal areas — College Access, Graduation, Transfer Success, Career Credentials — as outlined in the plan.
The four Institutional Planning Teams are:
- Academic Program Plan
- Equity Plan
- Learning Plan
- Student Experience Team
A fifth team will be established for Community Impact after a community survey is conducted.
Each institutional planning team consists of between 15 and 25 participants including faculty, staff, administrators and students. Each planning team is co-chaired by a campus administrator, district administrator and/or faculty council member. These teams will meet bi-weekly. For a list of work team members, click here.
Academic Program Plan
The Academic Program Plan Team has proposed five strategic focus areas to reach our Impact Plan goals. These are as follows:
- Student career exploration
- Academic program development
- Dual Enrollment
- Online strategy (particularly for adult students)
- Strategic enrollment management
The Equity Plan Team is bringing together a broad perspective and the mindsets of those who are deeply engaged in the work of creating more equitable organizations and communities. This team is working on cultivating strategies for the multiple equity initiatives that are currently underway, including:
- Creating an organizational structure for equity
- Supporting equity through the School of Public Safety
- Evaluating our recruiting and retention processes
- Creating and supporting Black male student initiatives
Last month, the team met for a two-day training and orientation and will be working on refining strategies in the areas listed above.
The Learning Plan Team has proposed the following three strategy areas in which to focus their work. These areas include:
- Revise/renew Essential Competencies of a Valencia Educator
- Increase engagement in learning outcomes assessment
- Support gateway course success
The Student Experience Plan Team has proposed six strategic focus areas to reach Impact Plan goals. Those are:
- Redesigning/improving student advising
- Creating more welcoming environments
- Improving student communication
- Increasing student engagement
- Implementing and using updated pathway tools
- Welcoming students through updated orientation and first-year experiences
Each of the Institutional Planning Work Teams will continue to meet further develop strategies for each of the focus areas identified and produce a high-level work plan for each of the strategies. For more information on the Valencia’s Strategic Impact Plan, visit the website, Strategic Plan: Creating a Blueprint for Opportunity and Equity.
As always, please feel free to reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or would like additional information about the strategic planning process.