Monday, November 8, 2021
West Campus Learning Support and the Valencia College Foundation announce the first Annual Spring Scholarship Series.
The Spring Scholarship series, coordinated by Amanda Little, coordinator, foundation scholarships, and Melissa Shank, administrative assistant, learning support, is designed to engage students collegewide in scholarship conversations that go beyond simply encouraging them to apply, with the aim of all students participating in the program submitting a Valencia College Foundation Scholarship application at the end of the series.
Dates: Thursdays, January 27, February 3, February 17 and February 24, 2022
Time: 1 – 3 p.m.
Optional In-person Writing Session
Date: Thursday, February 10, 2022
Time: 1 – 3 p.m.
Location: West Campus, Room TBD
*Please note that faculty and staff registrations are limited to 30 to leave as much room for students to attend. Available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Scholarship dollars don’t just go to those students with the best grades and best test scores; they can also go to those who know how to find and win scholarships. In this four-session series, students will learn tools and tips on how to win scholarships. Content covered will include:
- What scholarships, grants and financial aid are;
- Scholarship myths, scams and success stories, including common mistakes made by students when applying for scholarships;
- How the Career and Writing Centers can assist students with scholarship applications;
- Real example scholarship essays and tips on scholarship letters of recommendation;
- Crafting a personal story to use in answering common scholarship essay prompts;
- Using a combination of the internet, books and local research to create a personal scholarship application list;
- Hearing from Valencia College students who have earned scholarships;
- Guest speaker presentations from various areas in the Valencia community (i.e., Valencia College Foundation, Financial Aid, Career Center, Learning Support, Honors College), as well as the University of Central Florida, Rollins College, Florida A&M University and the University of Florida; and
- Hands-on assistance completing and submitting the Valencia College Foundation Scholarship application.