Applications for sabbatical leave for the 2017 – 2018 academic year are now being accepted. The purpose of sabbatical leave is to provide professional renewal for eligible faculty, administrators and professional staff employees. Sabbatical leave has provided employees significant opportunities for new, or renewed, achievement and growth through activities such as study, research, writing, creative work and travel so that they return to work with renewed vigor, perspective and insight.
Full-time professional staff, tenured faculty and administrators with at least seven years of continuous, qualifying Valencia service, who are not enrolled in the Deferred Retirement Option Program (DROP), are eligible to apply for a sabbatical leave. For more information, please refer to the Sabbatical Leave policy and procedure and other pertinent information on the sabbatical leave Web page.
- Applicants must have a conversation with their supervisor and obtain their supervisor’s verbal approval prior to submitting the application form. Download a PDF of the application form to use as a guide for the conversation with your supervisor.
- The supervisor is required to provide a plan for finding a replacement for the applicant’s teaching/work schedule. The document will be required on the application form.
- The supervisor must discuss the plan with the campus president/vice president and receive his or her verbal approval to continue with the application process.
- The application form must be completed online by the applicant by the deadline: Friday, October 16, 2015.
- Once the application is submitted, the supervisor and campus president/vice president will receive an electronic copy.
- Organizational Development and Human Resources will check eligibility and will notify applicants and supervisors if there are any issues with the applicant’s eligibility.
- All applications and plans are sent to the sabbatical selection committee chair by Saturday, October 31, 2015, and to all selection committee members by Wednesday, November 4, 2015.
- The committee will evaluate and make recommendations to the president by Friday, January 1, 2016. All applicants granted their sabbatical leave, as well as their dean/immediate supervisor, will be notified by the president no later than Sunday, January 10, 2016.
For questions, contact Wendi Dew, chair of the sabbatical leave committee and assistant vice president of teaching and learning, at firstname.lastname@example.org or extension 3841, or Jenny Charriez, director of employee development, at email@example.com or extension 8250.
Read about sabbatical experiences:
- The “Stay” Sabbatical: How Brian Macon Customized the Sabbatical of His Dreams
- Karen Marie Borglum Reflects on a Sabbatical “Down Under”
- Take a Sabbatical, Learn a Language
- Sarah Melanson Sabbatical Brings New Opportunities for Internationalization
- Steve Cunningham Teaches English in Russia
- Christie Pickeral Expands Service Learning Opportunities and Brings Literacy to Mountain Village