Sunday, March 15, 2020 – 9:40 p.m.
A Message from Patti Smith, Chief Information Officer
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) team has been working with partners across the College to anticipate your technological support needs as many of our employees prepare to work remotely.
If you will be setting up a remote workstation, please follow this guidance:
Where to Get Help
OIT is committed to assisting you during your transition to working remotely. We have a team standing by to provide one-on-one support to help you with any questions or issues you may encounter.
Atlas Help: 407-582-5444
Support Hotline 407-582-5600
Support is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Information security remains a critical priority for us, and in times of emergency, it’s easy to let our guard down. Especially with colleagues working from home, it is of utmost importance to use good information security protocols including:
- Not using open/public WiFi networks to conduct College business.
- Use the College’s VPN tool to securely connect to the College network to access services such as Banner, I-Drive and S-Drive. Please note, VPN is not required to access email.
- Avoid storing personal information about students or employees on flash drives or personal cloud storage services like Google Drive or Dropbox. OneDrive for Business and Teams, both available through https://portal.office.com, are the only sanctioned cloud-based file sharing and storage services.
- Use anti-malware protection on personal devices used to access work applications and data. Also, make sure to keep personal devices up-to-date with software and operating system patches and security updates.
- Bad actors are taking advantage of the current global pandemic and are increasing their social engineering attacks. Please be mindful of not clicking on phishing emails. If you receive a suspicious email, please report through the Outlook reporting tool available on the desktop and web versions of Outlook.
- Remember to maintain a secure environment when working remotely. Make sure that your computer screen is not visible to others and make sure to sign-off or lock your screen before leaving your computer unattended. Never leave your devices or laptop in your car unattended.
Remote access to Banner, network drives (I-Drive and S-Drive) and department servers require the use of a VPN. Your supervisor must first make the request by emailing the OIT Service Desk at OITServiceDesk@valenciacollege.edu with the name(s) of the individual(s) they would like VPN access granted to. Once the request has been processed, you will need to install the desktop application, if it is not already. There are two sets of instructions depending on your computer operating system platform. Instructions for Windows and Mac computers are available on the OIT Help portal.
A few important things to note.
- VPN is not required to access Atlas, Canvas or your email. Email, Teams, OneDrive and other Office 365 applications can be accessed at https://portal.office.com. Use your Valencia email address and password to access.
- VPN access may be slower than your on-campus experience. There are multiple factors that are outside the control of OIT, including your home Internet service and the network path back to the College’s datacenters, which may contribute to the slowness or inconsistency of a connection.
- VPN connections may disconnect from time to time. Due to the number of concurrent users and the variables of the connection previously mentioned, if you encounter a brief disconnection, try to reconnect. If you encounter further connection issues, please report them to OIT.
- Only connect via VPN when absolutely necessary. We have limited availability, and your connection may prohibit others from connecting.
- When VPN is enabled, you are connected to the College network and all traffic will funnel through the College’s internet connections. Thus local network-connected devices at your home, as well as some personal sites and applications may not work while connected to VPN.
Your Outlook email (email@example.com) is accessible via Office 365. You can most easily connect to it and other Office 365 resources via https://portal.office.com. Simply sign in using your valenciacollege.edu email address and password.
Should you choose to access Outlook email via Atlas and receive an error, you may be attempting to log in with your firstname.lastname@example.org email address. This link will provide instructions to assist with this issue.
The easiest way to access Office 365 is via https:/portal.office.com. We highly recommend you download all Office products to include Skype for Business and Microsoft Teams when prompted. This will simplify your use of the product and enhance your online experience.
Microsoft Teams and Skype for Business
We highly recommend the use of Microsoft Teams and Skype for Business. While either will work for your one-on-one calls or larger meetings, Microsoft Teams is hosted in Office 365 and not subject to any bandwidth constraints. We also recommend using your cameras during these calls and meetings to enhance your experience, if available.
Helpful Resources for Common Questions
To provide you with the most up-to-date information on working remotely, we will regularly update this Working Remote webpage.
If you need support, please refer to the above section, How to Get Support.
For additional tips for working working remotely, click here.
Thank you for your patience as we work to provide support to our College community.