To properly execute and comply with college policies, the accounts payable and procurement team would like to ensure that all supervisors are aware of the purchase order (PO) and invoice creation process, including approval and payment procedures. As a supervisor, you should have a clear understanding of the payment guidelines and ensure that members of your staff who handle these transactions are fully aware of proper workflow and procedures.
It is necessary that proper procedures are followed when making purchases to protect you and the college from liability. Here are some tips to remind you of your role in this process:
- Ensure that all of your employees attend Banner finance training and purchasing training offered by procurement through the Valencia EDGE.
- Ensure that proper procedures are being followed and that all invoices are approved for payment and returned to accounts payable in a timely manner.
- If your department uses monthly contractors, art models, etc., open PO’s should be requested at the beginning of every fiscal year. You should ensure that PO’s exist and are created annually to cover all purchases. If a contractor’s agreement is signed with a vendor, an open purchase order should be created at the same time for the remainder of the fiscal year.
- If work flows are unclear or need to be adjusted, please contact accounts payable for information and advice to help clarify departmental work flows.
To learn more about accounts payable processes and procedures, you may enroll in Accounts Payable 101, an online Valencia EDGE course. This course provides tutorials on basic accounts payable processes and procedures using Banner and accounts payable forms.
- Identify your role and responsibility in accounts payable processes
- Prepare all accounts payable forms correctly
- Analyze the steps required in the invoice creation and approval process
- Use Banner Finance to locate information and supporting documentation related to PO’s and Invoices