Monday, October 18, 2021
A Message from Carrie Black, Director, Energy Conservation and Sustainability
As we continue celebrating 10 years of the Office of Sustainability, we’re recognizing the people who have supported Valencia College on its sustainability journey.
Our journey actually commenced in 2005 when former Assistant Vice President of Facilities Helene Loiselle created the first Sustainability Committee. Early members of this committee included Larry Rosen, former institutional research analyst; Andy Ray, professor, building construction technology; Jerry Reed, professor, computer programming and analysis; Deb Hall, professor, electronic engineering technology; and Brenda Schumpert, former professor of biology.
Today, Deb Hall is the program chair for the Energy Management & Controls Technology Associate in Science program, teaching students about building automation to make our buildings better performing and more energy efficient.
This group began working on numerous areas within sustainability, from Lake Pamela’s restoration of vegetation and water quality improvement to creating a new campus construction standard that all new buildings be green building certified, and completing our first greenhouse gas emissions inventory. Their work led to the establishment of the Office of Sustainability with the hiring of Deborah Green, who was a professor of environmental science member and served as the director of sustainability from 2011 through 2014.
From the first Sustainability Committee creation to today, many have joined Valencia’s sustainability efforts, and as we reflect on these successful 10 years of the office and longer for overall sustainability efforts, we would like to especially thank these members of the Valencia community:
- Jim Adamski, professor, earth science
- Aref Altawam, professor, engineering
- Shaun Andrews, assistant vice president, maintenance operations
- Loren Bender, vice president, business operations and finance
- Karen Cowden, professor, reading
- Nardia Cumberbatch, librarian
- Neisa Fetes, manager, campus operations
- Javier Garces, professor, biology
- Edie Gaythwaite, professor, speech
- Robert Hickman, operations manager
- Brian Macon, professor, math
- Lisa Macon, professor, software development
- April Montallana, administrative assistant
- Karen Murray, professor, EAP
- Sal Navarro, manager, campus operations
- Aaron Powell, professor, EAP
- Ella Raynor, instructional lab supervisor
- Paul Rooney, assistant vice president, operations
- Glendalys Santos-Reyes, security officer
- Patricia Smith, professor, biology
- Nicole Valentino, professor, English
- Sylvana Vester, professor, math
- James Vrhovac, professor, English
- Richard Weinsier, instructional lab supervisor
- Natalie Yrisarry, professor, speech
- And former employees Estevan Baza, Winsome Bennet, Clarence Canada, Deborah Green, Resham Shirsat, Patti Riva and John Letterman.
Thank you to each and every one who has joined us along our journey.
Our work continues as we work toward carbon neutrality by 2050. Follow us on Instagram and Facebook to learn about upcoming events at Valencia and in the community, to stay up to date on what we’re doing and find ways to get involved.