Thursday, January 28, 2021
By Sally Leslie, Campus Director, Faculty and Instructional Development
When we decide to devote our time to earning a certification at Valencia College, we might seek out colleagues who have been there before us and ask them what the experience is like. Now, the LifeMap team has done this for you by asking colleagues to share short video testimonials that speak to both the LifeMap Certification experience and its practical use in the learning environment. This certification is Valencia Faculty Development’s oldest certification and with good reason. LifeMap offers its participants one-to-one mentorship and is open to both faculty and staff.
In the LifeMap video, you will see LifeMap faculty alumni speaking about how they have each employed the following LifeMap Certification outcomes:
- Apply the principles of LifeMap, one of the Essential Competencies of a Valencia Educator, to improve their practice.
- Integrate LifeMap and College Success Skills into their current practice.
- Engage in continuous improvement processes, through the completion of an infusion project, with the goal of enhanced student learning.
- Develop professional relationships throughout the division, campus and College.
- Contribute to an evolving community of peers focused on reflection, innovation and enhanced student learning.
In this video, you may recognize your colleagues whom we would like to thank for their participation in this project: Tina Tan, professor, speech (voice over artist); Kaitlyn Brooker, faculty, New Student Experience (face-to-face teaching clip); Ashley Cabrera; multimedia designer (video editing); Patrick Bartee, professor, speech; Jane Maguire, professor, education; Len Kornblau; part-time faculty, business; David Freeman, professor, English; Jen Brunk, professor, English; Jasmine Nokaly; professor, English; Cheri Cutter; interim dean, business; Carl Creasman, professor, history; and Bianca Alamo, former faculty and instructional support specialist, who was our film maker on this project.
If you are interested in signing up for the LifeMap Certification, we have the first course in the series, LFMP3339: Fundamentals of LifeMap beginning on Monday, February 8, 2021. Click this link to register. We look forward to seeing you there!