Thursday, March 25, 2021
A Message from Paul Rooney, Assistant Vice President, Operations, and Amy Bosley, Vice President, Organizational Development and Human Resources
We are excited to announce that the West Campus state/FEMA COVID vaccination site will offer vaccines for persons 40 years and older starting Monday, March 29, 2021, and for persons 18 years and older starting Monday, April 5, 2021, for a limited time through Tuesday, April 6, 2021. Additionally, we are pleased to share that College President Sandy Shugart has authorized paid leave for vaccinations.
West Campus Vaccination Site Update
The West Campus state/FEMA COVID vaccination site will offer vaccinations for persons 40 years and older starting Monday, March 29, 2021, and for persons 18 and older starting Monday, April 5, 2021, for a limited time through Tuesday, April 6, 2021.
The site will administer 1,000 first doses per day of the Pfizer vaccine through Tuesday, April 6, 2021, in addition to the previously scheduled second doses. The first-dose vaccines will be administered on a first-come, first-served basis.
We anticipate that the site will only offer the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine from Wednesday, April 7 through Wednesday, April 14, 2021.
If you’re scheduled for your second dose, please do your best to keep your appointment. Also, please bring your vaccination card to your appointment.
Through Tuesday, April 6, 2021, the state/FEMA COVID vaccination site at West Campus is open to:
- Local college and university employees regardless of age. This does not include dependents. You will need your Valencia ID or paystub (either on your cell phone or a printed copy) and your driver’s license;
- Federal and Institutional Work Study Students/Employees. You will need to show your paystub (either on your cell phone or a printed copy) and your driver’s license;
- Persons 50 years and older;
- New: Starting Monday, March 29, 2021, persons 40 years and older;
- New: Starting Monday, April 5, 2021, persons 18 years and older for a limited time through Tuesday, April 6, 2021 (as the site will only offer second doses from Wednesday, April 7 through Wednesday, April 14, 2021). We anticipate that the site will begin offering first doses again starting Thursday, April 15, 2021.
- Long-term care facility residents and staff;
- Health care personnel with direct patient contact;
- K-12 school employees; and
- Individuals deemed extremely vulnerable for COVID-19. An individual in this category must bring the COVID-19 Determination of Extreme Vulnerability form, which must be completed and signed by the physician who determined the individual to be extremely vulnerable to COVID-19.
Vaccines are being distributed from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. or as long as supplies are available each day. Individuals are served on a first-come, first-served, walk-up basis. When coming to the West Campus for the vaccine, please remember to use the North entrance (the entrance nearest Wawa).
Although pre-registration is not necessary, the state has a preregistration system for COVID-19 vaccinations. To preregister in Florida, individuals can either call the designated phone number for their county or visit myvaccine.fl.gov.
As we receive updates, we will keep you posted.
If you have any questions or concerns related to this event, please contact your West Campus Security team at 407-299-5000, extension 1000, or reach out to Paul Rooney, assistant vice president, operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 321-689-7077.
As we prepare to enter Phase 3 for the Summer 2021 term and with the COVID-19 vaccination becoming more widely available, College President Sandy Shugart has authorized paid leave for vaccinations.
For a limited time, Valencia College will provide a maximum of 12 hours of paid time off for employees (on an as-needed basis) to receive the COVID-19 vaccination and/or recover from the side effects. Though we encourage scheduling vaccinations during non-work hours, we know that this is not always possible and want to ensure that a potential loss in pay is not a barrier to being vaccinated. Please note that this leave is available beginning on Thursday, March 25, 2021, and is not retroactive.
The availability of this special leave will expire on Wednesday, June 30, 2021. At that time, we will reevaluate and could renew it if needed based on vaccine availability.
As a part of the leave approval, please show your vaccination card (this will not be kept on record) to your supervisor upon returning to work, either in person, if you’re working on site, or via a Zoom or Teams meeting, if you’re working remotely. After receiving approval from your supervisor, submit a Certificate of Absence in the Request and Manage My Leave system for “Leave with Pay” and indicate “Vaccine Leave” in the notes section of the request.
For full-time, non-exempt employees, enter “Leave with Pay” on your Web Time Entry timesheet. For part-time employees, do not enter any leave hours on your Web Time Entry timesheet for vaccine leave, as you will be paid from your Certificate of Absence submitted in the Request and Manage My Leave system.
For questions regarding leave submission or recording leave with pay in the Web Time Entry system, please contact Bettie Cooper, director, payroll services, at email@example.com or 407-299-5000 extension 8100.
We strongly encourage everyone to be vaccinated and hope this resource helps as you navigate through the pandemic. If you have any questions about leave, our Organizational Development and Human Resources team stands ready to support you. Please reach out to HR4U@valenciacollege.edu, or call the HR4U helpline at 407-299-5000, extension HR4U (4748).