Valencia College has teamed up with community organizations to donate to local causes during the holiday season.
SGA and Student Development Drive
The Valencia College Student Government Association (SGA) has partnered with Student Development student leaders to host a virtual holiday donation drive to support organizations focused on essential need assistance in our communities.
“Community is part of our DNA, and in these precarious times, Student Development would like to remain focused on our civic engagement mission by challenging our faculty and staff to donate to those organizations focused on providing support to our communities,” said Charles Esminger, director, student development.
Rather than using drop-boxes to collect items on campus this year, we encourage our Valencia College staff and faculty to donate using the contactless and virtual donation options offered by each charitable organization listed below. The drive will take place between now and Saturday, January 2, 2021.
- Resource Center — The Samaritan Resource Center and the Christian Help Employment and Resource Center lead individuals and families out of homelessness and into stable, independent futures. To donate, visit https://samaritanresourcecenter.org/ or https://www.christianhelp.org/.
- Central Florida Community Program — The Baby DJ program began over 25 years ago when its founder “Johnny Magic” was inspired to assist financially disadvantaged families in the Central Florida region. To donate, visit https://www.babydj.org/donate.
- Food Bank — Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida is a private, nonprofit organization that collects, stores and distributes donated food to more than 550 feeding partners in six Central Florida counties: Brevard, Lake, Orange, Osceola, Seminole and Volusia. Last year, with the help of numerous donors, volunteers, and a caring, committed community, the food bank distributed enough food for 73 million meals to partner programs such as food pantries, soup kitchens, women’s shelters, senior centers, daycare centers and Kids Cafes. To donate, click here.
Valencia’s Downtown Campus, along with United to Promote Cultural Awareness (UPCA), the University of Central Florida’s newly formed committee, is participating in a Winter Holiday Toy drive to support the children at the Academic Center for Excellence (ACE), part of Orange County Public Schools.
Due to updated restrictions and safety concerns, ACE is requesting that all donations be new toys in their original packaging, age-appropriate for students in kindergarten through second grade (ages 5-7) and gender neutral.
All employees are invited to donate toys until Friday, December 4, 2020. Valencia has placed drop-off boxes in UnionWest at Creative Village and the Dr. Phillips Academic Commons Building (DPAC).
Employees who are working remotely or who would prefer to make an online purchase may send toy donations to the attention of ToCarra Jordan at College of Community Innovation and Education, whose address is included below. Online purchases may be made from Amazon, Walmart, Target or other stores.
• DPAC Building — Suite 302 Front Desk
• UnionWest — 2nd Floor Front Desk
Online puchases can be sent to:
528 W. Livingston Street, Suite 302
Orlando, FL 32801
District Office and Orange County Mayor’s Toy Drive
The District Office will support the Orange County Mayor’s Toy Drive again this holiday season.
Employees have opportunities to make in-person toy donations at designated sites before Monday, December 14, 2020. They may also make an online purchase that will be sent directly to the County’s Holiday Warehouse for distribution. The deadline to make an online purchase is Monday, December 7, 2020. Shoppers may purchase gifts through Roonga, an online shopping platform.
Senator Randolph Bracy Holiday Toy Giveaway
State Senator Randolph Bracy, District 11 will host a Holiday Toy Giveaway on Saturday, December 19, 2020, from 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Kappa Alpha Psi Administration Building located at 832 Courtland Street, Orlando.
To prepare for the event, Senator Bracy’s office will collect donations of unwrapped children’s toys starting Thursday, December 4 until Thursday, December 17, 2020, from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. at Senator Bracy’s office located at 6965 Piazza Grande Avenue, Suite 211, Orlando.
For more information, contact Charlean Gatlin at (407) 297-2045 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.