Please note that this event has been postponed. More details will be shared in The Grove and The Juice when rescheduled.
Tuesday, April 27, 2021
West Campus Learning Support and International Students Services announce the First Annual Summer Scholarship Series.
This series, coordinated by Yonitha Berryhill, coordinator, international students, and Melissa Shank, administrative assistant, is designed to engage students collegewide in scholarship conversations that go beyond simply encouraging them to apply, with the aim of all students participating in the program and submitting a Valencia College Foundation Scholarship application.
Dates: Thursdays, May 20, May 27, June 10 and June 17, 2021
Time: 1 – 3 p.m.
Scholarship dollars don’t just go to those students with the best grades and best test scores; they can also go to those who know how to find and win scholarships. In this four-session series, students will learn tools and tips on how to win scholarships. Content covered will include:
- What scholarships, grants and financial aid are;
- Scholarship myths, scams and success stories, including common mistakes made by students when applying for scholarships;
- How the Career and Writing Centers can assist students with scholarship applications;
- Real example scholarship essays and tips on scholarship letters of recommendation;
- Crafting a personal story to use in answering common scholarship essay prompts;
- Using a combination of the internet, books and local research to create a personal scholarship application list;
- Hearing from Valencia College students who have earned scholarships;
- Guest speaker presentations from various areas in the Valencia community (i.e. Valencia College Foundation, Career Center, Learning Support, Honors College), as well as the University of Central Florida and Rollins; and
- Hand-on assistance completing and submitting the Valencia College Foundation Scholarship application.