A Message from Falecia Williams, President, West and Downtown Campuses
In Partnership with the West Orange Foundation, there is a new scholarship opportunity this year, The Danniel J. Petro and Voight Foundation Scholarships.
The scholarship fund, administered by the West Orange Chamber of Commerce, was established to make it possible for eligible students from local high schools to further their education at Valencia College, Orange Technical College or the University of Central Florida. The West Orange Foundation is able to fund the scholarships through the generous contributions of the Petro Family Foundation and Voight Foundation.
In order to qualify, eligible senior students must:
- Live in one of the following communities (Dr. Phillips, Gotha, Horizon West, Lake Avalon, MetroWest, Oakland, Ocoee, Orlo Vista, Pine Hills, Windermere or Winter Garden);
- Attend a high school in one of the above service areas;
- Have a current GPA of 2.75 (either weighted or unweighted); and
- Apply to attend either Valencia College, the University of Central Florida or Orange Technical Colleges.
Up to several student recipients may be awarded $1000 scholarships; the number of recipients will be dependent upon the amount of money available in the scholarship fund at the time of the award. Two student recipients will be awarded $2500 scholarships from the Petro Family Foundation. Any unspent money will be allocated to the following year.
To download a copy of the application, click here. Eligible students should complete the application in its entirety, which includes a list of activities, leadership positions and honors, community involvement and special recognition awards and honors, along with a personal essay in which they should describe themselves and provide information about their most significant accomplishment.
All applications with supporting documentation must be submitted to the West Orange Chamber of Commerce (12184 West Colonial Drive, Winter Garden, FL 34787), Attn: Carrie Wilson. Applications may also be submitted electronically to Carrie at email@example.com. Application deadlines are as follows:
- Friday, April 6, 2018, if submitting through U.S. Postal Service
- Sunday, April 8, 2018, if submitting through email.
For any questions regarding this scholarship, please contact Carrie at the above email address.