By Summer Trazzera, Professor, Reading
The “Reading Across the Disciplines Mini-Conference” was held at the School of Public Safety on Friday, April 8, 2016. More than 40 professors from various campuses were in attendance, representing departments across the disciplines.
Presentations focused on creative ways to increase reading comprehension; guidelines for analyzing the readability level of textbooks; methods for meeting the needs of students with disabilities; and strategies for teaching students whose first language is not English. Participant feedback will be analyzed to determine additional faculty needs in cultivating reading strategies to enhance student learning.
A special thank you to the following Valencia professors for their wonderful contributions:
- Rhonda Atkinson, professor,education, West Campus
- Jason Balserait, professor, English, Winter Park Campus
- Marilyn Curall, professor, English, West Campus
- Randy Gordon, professor, English, East Campus
- Nissa Hopkins, professor, English for Academic Purposes, East Campus
- Crystal Smith, Professor, English, East Campus
- Valerie Woldman, professor, humanities, Winter Park Campus