Tuesday, March 30, 2021
Get ready for one of our employees’ favorite Total Rewards — summer work hours!
Like summer 2020, Valencia College will not close on Friday afternoons this year. However, four hours of leave with pay will be available each week for full-time employees.
Summer work hours will begin the week of Sunday, May 16, 2021, and will continue through Saturday, July 24, 2021. Normal operating hours will remain, and employees are encouraged to work with their supervisors to schedule their four hours of leave during this time. Please use the following guidelines when preparing summer work schedules:
- The College’s work week begins at 12:01 a.m. on Sunday and runs for seven consecutive days (168 hours), ending at midnight on Saturday. All 12-month employees are required to work or be on approved leave for the 36-hour work week during this period.
- Although the College work week for 12-month employees will be 36 hours during the summer schedule, pay will not be affected, as the remaining four hours are calculated as approved leave with pay. Employees will continue to receive the same bi-weekly pay rate based on the standard 40-hour work week. Vacation and sick leave accrual will also remain unchanged and leave taken will be charged based on the 36-hour work week schedule.
- The four hours per work week that 12-month employees are not required to work during this period will be considered approved, paid leave and documented as “Leave with Pay” on the Web Time Entry Timesheet.
- During the summer work schedule, the four hours of Leave with Pay are only to be used to bring an employee from 36 hours worked up to 40 hours for the week. If an employee is already on a reduced schedule and using Leave with Pay to supplement the week, he or she would not receive an additional four hours of Leave with Pay to reduce the schedule further.
- The College will be closed on Memorial Day, Monday, May 31, 2021. All 12-month employees should plan to work or take paid leave for the remaining 28 hours of this week. We will also be closed on Friday, July 2, 2021 (a small number of staff will work to support students and facilities), for the Independence Day Holiday, which is on Sunday, July 4, 2021. All 12-month employees should plan to work or be on paid leave for the remaining 28 hours of this week. During the weeks of Memorial Day and Independence Day, the holiday hours would be reduced before “Leave with Pay,” since those hours can be banked for use at a later date.
- Please remember that summer hours are not included in the overtime calculation. All non-exempt employees will receive overtime compensation for each hour actually worked in excess of 40 hours during the workweek. Please see Valencia policy 6Hx28:3C-01 – Total Rewards: Compensation and Hours of Work for Employees of the College for additional information. If a non-exempt employee works more than 36 hours in any given week, the Leave with Pay hours will need to be reduced for that week so that the hours total 40 for the week. If more than 40 hours are actually worked, Leave with Pay would not be recorded at all for that week. Please note that Leave with Pay for summer hours is non-cumulative, so it does not carry over from week to week. They are also non-compensable, cannot be banked and must be used within the week it is provided.
- As usual, overtime should only be authorized when absolutely necessary.
- Also, remember that shift differential is earned when 40 or more hours are worked between 5 p.m. and 8 a.m. within a two-week pay period. The summer hours will not be included in that calculation.
- Full-time, 12-month employees should be scheduled for at least one, 30-minute lunch period each day. Part-time employees who work more than six hours in a day should also be scheduled for a lunch period of at least 30 minutes. While these breaks are not required, it’s good practice to try and ensure that employees get a break in their work day.
- Adjustments in schedules to permit a four-day work week from Monday through Thursday may be possible for 12-month employees with approval from the supervisor. Supervisors should ensure that all full-time staff members are able to take advantage of the summer schedule on an equitable basis.
If you have questions, please contact your Organizational Development and Human Resources team at HR4U@valenciacollege.edu or 407-299-5000, extension HR4U (4748).